homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 07:45:04 -0500

On Sep 28, 2008, at 9:46 PM, Akka Homestead wrote:

I'm trying to remember from my youth, but I have kind of a mental block. We had huge fish fries, with 50+ people at mini family reunions. I can't remember what we fried the fish in...I seriously doubt it was a commercial size fryer, and I know it had to be bigger than the little fryer I have sitting on my countertop. Is there something that people used to fry fish in? Something large? How was that done in those days? I see some kind of metal rectangle that held the oil, and am I seeing Coleman stoves?? I just can't remember.

Expect even less remembering in the future.

In this neck of the woods they used a big cast iron pot, several- gallon size. I found along-side my road a three-legged metal stand that would support such a pot but haven't scored a pot yet.