homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 21:39:25 EDT

> > I don't eat much gravy James. Gravy and fried chicken are two things I
> just never mastered...

That explains it then. You'd have a much mellower outlook on life if only
you had enough fried chicken and gravy. When are you coming up for a
Southern
fried feast you won't soon forget, eh?? I got lots of extra chickens this
fall.

I would hardly hesitate myself to eat the canned ground meat right out of the
jar, but for over prudence's sake, make sure whatever you are using it in
gets up to proper heat. If the meat is going into the rice or redbeans while
they are cooking, by all means don't heat it first. But if you are going to
add
it after they are cooked, it would serve you well, for botulism's sake, to
heat it first. Just a quick heat uncovered drives off the toxin if any is
present.

But having eaten a lot of meat preserved this way, boy and man, I can tell
you that if it spoils, it doesn't take rocket science to know it. It smells
extremely bad and you would in no wise be able to swallow it.

James

</HTML>