homestead - Re: [Homestead] Inflation --commentary

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Inflation --commentary
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:06:02 -0700 (PDT)

bob ford wrote:

> A friend approached me today. The dollar value on his house was
> $600,000 12 months ago. He had a $320,000 mortgage. Today his house
> is worth $300,000 and falling.

You know, I have a hard time finding sympathy for things like this.  It
just tells me that it was vastly overpriced to begin with.
I got my tax assessment in the mail last week.  My value has increased
$4000 over last year.  I expect that to drop next year as there is no
way I could sell my property for what it is supposedly "valued".  It
went up only because people like Mathid's friend have bought land at
high prices and built big houses on it.  Their house is valued higher,
so mine is valued higher by default.  But it is an illusion and always
has been as I know I could not sell it for that much-not that I would
anyway, but people look at houses for investments these days.

> He has a perfect credit rating, and has never missed a full payment
> on his house. His family is one of the many that the current
> structure is penalizing in order to support those who bought houses
> that they could never afford. He asked me what he should do. My
> advice was to walk. There is no moral responsibility for him to
> continue to pay people who have shafted him in such a manner.

I think that is crazy.  Telling the guy to walk is like telling Ike
survivors to loot because there is never a cop around when you need one.
I personally think that is the kind of mentality-I call it a cheaters
mentality-that got us here to begin with.

> Why would anyone pay their mortgage when legislation is being drafted
> to make non-payment acceptable? If responsible people who didn't over
> commit are penalized for the actions of those people who did, then
> the rules of the game are corrupt. If the rules of the game are
> corrupt then don't play the game. If you do, then you end up as no
> better than a banker or a Wall Street used CDO salesman.

Not playing would be not buying in the first place.  Once you buy in,
you are committed.  Quitting doesn't relieve that obligation.

> The bankers and Wall Street investors have lost Joe and Suzy's money,
> now they want passage of legislation to ensure that Joe and Suzy have
> to pay them back. There can be little doubt that Congress will pass
> it. There will be electoral rage at the decision with unforeseeable
> consequences in November.

I heard last night that Republicans may vote no due to oversight concerns.

> My wife went to the gas station in Clearwater, Florida yesterday.
> There was no gas, so not being desperate she went home. Today she
> went out again and found a gas station with a long queue. She queued.
> Whilst waiting she chatted to another woman in the queue. This other
> woman informed my wife that there was no gas between Ashville in N.
> Carolina and Charleston in S. Carolina. She claimed that in Georgia
> people were fighting over gas it was so short. Maybe that is not the
> whole story, maybe it is. Who knows what is true in America anymore?

Yesterday, we ventured out to the grocery store.. I saw no gas stations open,
and passed 6 of them on the way.  I heard on Saturday that we had only one
station open(county of supposedly 50K-Ithink more like 30k, but whatever, on
the interstate), and that there was a $50 limit-only high octane stuff.  This
morning, one of my neighbors was in town and called to tell me that a gas
truck was delivering to Kangaroo across from Walmart, and that there were
already people in line, that if we needed gas we better get up there soon.
Apparently they had a $75 limit.
Anyway, what amazed me was that while in town yesterday, I saw people driving
around..no decrease in traffic over normal, like the gas would magically come
back today.  My grasshopper best friend came over for coffee this morning and
she was actually starting to open her eyes to the problem.  I told her that I
had spent more at the store than usual-restocking dry goods, because I was
worried that the trucks would soon stop running.  How far can a tractor
trailer go on a tank of gas?  Where is the actual boundary of this gas
'shortage'?  My friend says her mother south of Montgomery, AL has
gasoline...no shortage in her town.
And yes, people are starting to fight at the pumps.  Line cutters and folks
just angry over the situation,,,,pump rage,,,cops are spending a lot of time
directing traffic at open stations and calming folks down.  But still, even
with all of this, people drive and don't change their habits.  How long has
it been since Ike and Gustav?  When will this end?

When TSHTF [the s*** hits the fan]
> remember that it is Congress who is your enemy, not your neighbour.

I so very much agree.