homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 20:11:35 -0700 (PDT)

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

>>> but if you dry pack raw chicken
>> like the method I see, does the chicken make broth during the canning
>> process? You have liquid in the jar with the chicken in the end,
>> right?
>>

> Yes, but you can't predict how much.
>
> Also, with raw packed meat, espcially meat like chicken, as the meat cooks
> in
> the jar during processing, some of it in the broth and some not, the heat
> applied to all parts of the contents is irregular.
>
> Hot packing the meat with broth begins the process with all the contents at
> the same temperature and with liquid to conduct the heat evenly.

Ah.  I've never canned meat, so that explains a lot.  This is definitely a
keeper post.

> For example, you can preserve sausage by frying it, packing it hot in the
> jars, and filling up the jars with the resulting grease.  Likewise
> hamburgers.
> They keep very well this way.  Many people seal the jars with dry heat
> process
> or water bath.  But the results are far better quality if they are pressure
> canned.

So, if I can some sausage like this, when I go to use it, I suppose I just
rinse off the grease and then proceed?
A long time ago, there was a guy on this list, I think his name was Trucker?
who lived in Alabama.  He made a post about storing meat in a crock of grease
or something. Does anyone else remember that?  The grease/lard sealed off the
air and they just dug it out as needed.

> We've even canned the small creek fish that abound here abouts, horny-heads
> and suckers.  They are headed, gutted, and scaled.  Then they are lightly
> parboiled and packed into jars filling them with the pot liquor.  The
> pressure
> canning makes the tiny bones like you find in sardines and canned salmon.

No way.  That is too cool.  So do the little creek chubs taste like sardines,
too?  Have you tried those too?  Do you totally pack the jar or just loosely
pack the jar?  How long do you parboil it?

Akka

>From indexer AT localnet.com Sun Sep 28 01:14:18 2008
> > We've even canned the small creek fish that abound here abouts,
> > horny-heads
> > and suckers. They are headed, gutted, and scaled. Then they are lightly
> > parboiled and packed into jars filling them with the pot liquor. The
> > pressure
> > canning makes the tiny bones like you find in sardines and canned salmon.

Oh, boy, does that bring back the memories. A kid 'chore' where I grew up
was to snare suckers in the winter, gig them late spring as they came from
the Wabash up into a small rocky creek. We usually went as a group and it
was great fun, especially the gigging because for snaring you have to be
quiet but gigging was like a party. They were all canned in those days, made
for some really good eating.

James, maybe you know: the sucker we had in the midwest were always white
meat and tasted very good. When we moved to coastal VA, people turned their
noses up at the idea of eating suckers, and we soon found out why: gray, soft
meat, and tasted muddy. They looked like the same critter to the eye but for
whatever reason we never figured out, they were somewhat smaller. Do you
know why they'd taste different? The warmer water maybe? The food (theirs)?
Or? We were so surprised, as sucker had always been a favorite til we tried
those. If you get good sucker, you can eat even the big ones fresh without
worrying about all those teeny fine bones if you score them finely when
they're cleaned. Sounds like a pain but goes fast.

We also canned coho from the Great Lakes area and after we moved to VA we
canned tuna and bluefish, although blues are not a favorite with me. They
are OK made up with potatoes, though, and made cheap eats, plus the kids all
liked them. Hint: if bluefish are running, even if they are beaching
themselves, do not try to catch with your bare hands; they prefer taking off
your hand to being caught.....my rambunctious kid....lucky.

Susan Jane, in Maine