homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken

  • From: Bunjov AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:22:48 EDT

In a message dated 9/29/2008 6:42:54 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Clansgian AT wmconnect.com writes:

Ya know, years ago there was some sort of public or civic or church do like
that all during the summer. Seems to be all gone now.
Not all gone in Newberry Springs.

At our 4th of July parade and get-together at the community park (held on
the 3rd so we don't compete with Barstow) we have a classic car parade down
our
part of Route 66 and our Assistant Fire Chief shows up towing his huge
homemade BBQ machine behind his pickup. He does a mean tri-tip. It is
essentially
a fundraiser for the Chamber. The parade begins at The Barn (local watering
hole) and ends up at the park.

Out on the ballfield, after dark, the same Asst. Chief puts on an amazing
fireworks show, and the community watches from the bleachers. He is a
certified
pyrotechnician, which may account for the quality of the tri-tip (heh heh).

He also shows up for our annual Pistachio Festival - first Saturday in
November for the last 11 years. So far, this celebration is the only one in
the
country. Food and crafts vendors come, and people come even from
out-of-state
year after year, just to buy the T-shirts, if nothing else, as each year's
shirt is different, and some folks have started collections.

We have live music, and raffles, and kids' games and face painters.

Nope. Not all gone. We are alive and well, and living in Newberry Springs.

Sandy
Mid-Mojave