homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 21:09:41 EDT

> >but if you dry pack raw chicken
> like the method I see, does the chicken make broth during the canning
> process? You have liquid in the jar with the chicken in the end,
> right?

Yes, but you can't predict how much.

Also, with raw packed meat, espcially meat like chicken, as the meat cooks in
the jar during processing, some of it in the broth and some not, the heat
applied to all parts of the contents is irregular.

Hot packing the meat with broth begins the process with all the contents at
the same temperature and with liquid to conduct the heat evenly.

For example, you can preserve sausage by frying it, packing it hot in the
jars, and filling up the jars with the resulting grease. Likewise
hamburgers.
They keep very well this way. Many people seal the jars with dry heat
process
or water bath. But the results are far better quality if they are pressure
canned.

We've even canned the small creek fish that abound here abouts, horny-heads
and suckers. They are headed, gutted, and scaled. Then they are lightly
parboiled and packed into jars filling them with the pot liquor. The
pressure
canning makes the tiny bones like you find in sardines and canned salmon.
</HTML>