homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 09:21:55 -0800

O.K., I'm a relative novice to pressure canning. Well, doing it on my own.
Gramma always did and I did with her but that's a whole different thing than
doing it on your own. I've done tons (probably literally <g>) of BWB
(boiling water bath) but am now using a steam canner
http://www.canningpantry.com/steam-canner.html You couldn't pay me enough
to go back to BWB!

So, back to the chicken. In theory, bone in chicken is supposed to make its
own broth. Now, "go to folks" that I know and that have been doing this for
a long time, add broth or liquid plus spices (garlic, onion, celery, lemon,
pepper, mushroom, red wine and so forth and so on.

Next on my list is to get a steam juicer. http://www.canningpantry.com/krona-juicer-steamer.html (they do come in aluminum also at a much cheaper price) The thing is, for chicken, you stick the chicken in the steam juice and get some lovely broth and some really nice moist chicken to bone. Then stick the bones in a roast pan and brown them and then crack the bones and make more broth.

The thing is good for about a million things. Makes grape juice without all the pain and hassle. Applesauce and crab apple jelly without all the hassle. Yup, that is next on my wish list!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Akka Homestead" <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>

Yeah, but that still doesn't answer the question. Why is there a specific
instruction of no liquid with a raw pack?