homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 06:58:20 EDT

> So, if I can some sausage like this, when I go to use it, I suppose I just
> rinse off the grease and then proceed?

Ackk! NO! You put the grease with the suasage in a pan to heat it and then
make gravey.

The only purpose of the canning processing is to seal the jars. In the crock
method you describe the top layer of the fat rancifies a bit and this makes a
barrier that preserves the rest. If there's enough salt in the sausage, this
is minimal.

>> No way. That is too cool. So do the little creek chubs taste like
> sardines, too? Have you tried those too? Do you totally pack the jar or
> just
> loosely pack the jar? How long do you parboil it?

Yes, chubs have gone into that too. Those small fish are very good. Taste
more like herring than sardines.

Parboil until the fish is heated all the way through. Some people don't hear
hem at all but if you do, you process them less and they cook in the jar more
evenly. </HTML>