homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canning Chicken
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 20:33:05 -0700 (PDT)

I don't know Rob, but my guess is that with raw chicken, you might have
camphylobacter or salmonella surface contamination and you don't want to
create a soup of that.  I know the blue book says no juice...I just don't
know..  DH was hospitalized with camphylobacter a few years ago. ICU for a
few days.  I'm not sure I was on the list as the time, but it was determined
that he got it from eating fried chicken off a country lunch buffet in town.
It wasn't cooked thoroughly.  He was very sick.
I have always boiled rabbit and chicken, just enough to remove the bones, It
is always still pink next to the bone when I do it.  I would guess it might
be 75% done.  I pack mine in broth though.  I have used such in soups, stews,
baked casseroles and things like quesadillas, where it will be cooked again.
I treated rabbit the same as chicken. Pressure canner, of course.  Boiling
meat is just easier, and you can get a seasoned broth to boot.

What kind of ground meat have you done?  I have a lot of pork sausage that I
would like to can...go ahead and cook it for easy and speed of use...I could
just open a jar and use some on pizza one night, jambalaya the next, or in an
omelet the following night.. I find pre-cooking is the way to go.  And, like
you say, it saves room in the freezer.  I have two of them, and it would be
nice to downsize to one or eliminate it altogether.
I've made quite a few venison meatballs this week, too.  How would I can
those?  Would I can them in a beef broth or perhaps in a marinara sauce or
sour cream sauce for stroganoff?  Could they go in a jar plain, dry, no sauce
or gravy?  What do you think?