homestead - Re: [Homestead] was Canning Chicken, now fish

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was Canning Chicken, now fish
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 07:03:15 EDT

> >James, maybe you know: the sucker we had in the midwest were always white
> meat and tasted very good. When we moved to coastal VA, people turned
> their
> noses up at the idea of eating suckers, and we soon found out why: gray,
> soft meat, and tasted muddy.

Everything in costal Va tastes muddy. People who raise crawdads around here
just seine them out of the water and sell them. In east Va, where most of
them come from, they have to seine them out and put them in holding tanks of
clear water for several days to purge them of that muddy taste.

Here the suckers are as you describe, very fine white meat. </HTML>