baslinux - Re: [BL] dosemu

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] dosemu
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 06:27:55 +0000 (UTC)

Are you hosting anything else compiled for BL, such as minihttpd?

No. Actually, I only put it up there because there was some difficulty in
it being hosted elsewhere, as I understood it, probably because David had
over-written it with the newer version.

Feel free to copy over anything from my site that you think other people
would want, some of which James already has. lynx and ghostscript are the
most generally useful.

Is there a need for another website source of packages for BL2 and BL3 ?
If so, I can set it up OK. But I think it is not a good idea to spread the
add-ons too thin unless there is a problem with space at the existing sites.
In that case, I should limit what I hold to those things without a home
elsewhere. There is no point in mirroring your website, Sindi, unless you
have to clear stuff out.

I might run out of space but not immediately. However my site is rather slow for downloading. I average about 1K/sec with kermit.

BTW: David, your dosemu package works ! Thank you. :)

What programs does it work with?

I have had a poor performance from console dosemu, with many of the characters being oddly mapped.

WP51 was unusuable in console mode. The characters simply did not appear when typed. What do you mean about oddly mapped?

Xdosemu has performed well under X (I do not use vesa) for:

DOS Navigator XTreeGold Pedit Pictview Lxpic Arachne(off-line) MSP PKZip/PKUnZip Tutordo MPEG.EXE CDFE (my CD player) my Chemical Data Package all of my own stuff that I have tried.

Why use pkzip instead of linux unzip?
Could you dial with linux and then use Arachne online?
What is Tutordo?

Good to know about Pictview. I switched to DOS to use it today after getting frustrated with the sluggishness of xpdf (at 500MHz!). I converted the pdf files sent me (they were scanned images) back to images (pbm) with pdfimages (followed by pnminvert from netpbm to change it back to black on white from white on black, and then pnmtopng). zgv displays pngs but I don't know out how to configure the resolution to 1600 configuration file and I see no man page here. xv displays pbm but not png, and I could not enlarge the image size, only widen it.

Is there some small viewer for X that adjusts image size properly? I ran across XnView for dozens of formats - precompiled statically, free download, for linux (1.3MB) or Win32 (8MB). It converts multipage tiffs (which the netpbm compiled by David did not do, so he compiled the most recent tifftopnm, which I have posted). http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enxnview.html

Pictview was perfect for the job and easy to set up, but I had to run it and WP51 on two computers under DOS. I will try running both Pictview and WP51 under xdosemu, in two 'workspaces' so as to use full-screen mode. And switching between them. How do you switch workspaces with icewm and no mouse?.

It has (so far) failed to run:

Professional Write CDP DOS Controller(this is a real disappointment for me) QuickView DSS MPXPLAY

What is DOS controller?

I continue to try things.

Regards,
Ron