baslinux - Re: [BL] dosemu

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] dosemu
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 10:12:07 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 02:50:45 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Ron Clarke wrote:
>
> > I have space to post packages for BLx if required. At the moment I
> > only have the second-to-last mplayer from David, but it is no problem to
> > set up some download directories for BL2 and BL3, if needed.
>
> Are you hosting anything else compiled for BL, such as minihttpd?

No. Actually, I only put it up there because there was some difficulty
in it being hosted elsewhere, as I understood it, probably because David had
over-written it with the newer version.

> Feel free to copy over anything from my site that you think other people
> would want, some of which James already has. lynx and ghostscript are the
> most generally useful.

Is there a need for another website source of packages for BL2 and BL3 ?
If so, I can set it up OK. But I think it is not a good idea to spread the
add-ons too thin unless there is a problem with space at the existing sites.
In that case, I should limit what I hold to those things without a home
elsewhere. There is no point in mirroring your website, Sindi, unless you
have to clear stuff out.

> > BTW: David, your dosemu package works ! Thank you. :)
>
> What programs does it work with?

I have had a poor performance from console dosemu, with many of the
characters being oddly mapped.

Xdosemu has performed well under X (I do not use vesa) for:
DOS Navigator XTreeGold Pedit Pictview Lxpic Arachne(off-line) MSP
PKZip/PKUnZip Tutordo MPEG.EXE
CDFE (my CD player) my Chemical Data Package all of my own stuff that I
have tried.

It has (so far) failed to run:
Professional Write CDP DOS Controller(this is a real disappointment for
me) QuickView DSS MPXPLAY

I continue to try things.

Regards,
Ron