baslinux - Re: [BL] dosemu

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] dosemu
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 02:16:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Ron Clarke wrote:

Hi Sindi,

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 06:27:55 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

Is there a need for another website source of packages for BL2 and BL3 ?
If so, I can set it up OK. But I think it is not a good idea to spread the
add-ons too thin unless there is a problem with space at the existing sites.
In that case, I should limit what I hold to those things without a home
elsewhere. There is no point in mirroring your website, Sindi, unless you
have to clear stuff out.

I might run out of space but not immediately. However my site is rather
slow for downloading. I average about 1K/sec with kermit.

My domain is a bit better than that. OK, so it might be a good idea if I
take the bigger packages and you keep the smaller ones. That should save you
some space, and reduce the download time for larger packages.
I will set up a BL2 and a BL3 download directories and post to this list.
Let me know what I should copy over from you, the URL where they are, and
which BL they are for.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl has the files
/blfiles.htm describes them

Please mirror gs850.tgz and the lynx package (which I think James also has) and David's dosemu.tgz They are for BL2 - the former with upgraded libc 2.2.5. And you can put a link to the others, or to the .htm file with explanations of how to install/use them.

Dosemu and lynx were supposed to be statically compiled but won't work in BL3, either of them. Lynx does work but only offline.

BTW: David, your dosemu package works ! Thank you. :)

What programs does it work with?

I have had a poor performance from console dosemu, with many of the
characters being oddly mapped.

WP51 was unusuable in console mode. The characters simply did not appear
when typed. What do you mean about oddly mapped?

Some (sometimes most) of the on-screen text appeared as high ASCII characters. Fortunately, I was able to fix that by invoking dosemu by adding the switch " -V " (upper case V), which loaded it with VGA graphics in console. Loading it as xdosemu didn't have a problem.

Very odd. I will try that for CLI WP51, which works badly. But WP has other problems in CLI mode (Alt-F1 means something else to linux).

Xdosemu has performed well under X (I do not use vesa) for:

DOS Navigator XTreeGold Pedit Pictview Lxpic Arachne(off-line) MSP
PKZip/PKUnZip Tutordo MPEG.EXE CDFE (my CD player) my Chemical Data
Package all of my own stuff that I have tried.

Why use pkzip instead of linux unzip?

Because the Linux unzip doesn't work in DOS. :)

But you could switch terminals to unzip something from linux.
Dosemu is only on the terminal you started it from. You could be running BL2 on another terminal, and BL3 on a third terminal..

Could you dial with linux and then use Arachne online?

No. I haven't yet worked out how to access the ports from dosemu.

Why do you need to access ports if you are already online with a linux dialer?

What is Tutordo?

It is a file manager written by a guy in Italy. A little bit clunky, but it works well as a file-finder for viewers/players as well as doing file-managing things.

Good to know about Pictview. I switched to DOS to use it today after
getting frustrated with the sluggishness of xpdf (at 500MHz!). I
converted the pdf files sent me (they were scanned images) back to images
(pbm) with pdfimages (followed by pnminvert from netpbm to change it back
to black on white from white on black, and then pnmtopng). zgv displays
pngs but I don't know out how to configure the resolution to 1600
configuration file and I see no man page here.

zgv is configurable from within the program. When the picture is displayed, press " / " to see options, or press " [ " or " ] " to scroll through resolutions.

The --help did not mention anything about this that I could fine. THANKS!

I have another 8 pages of png files to translate tomorrow and will try it with dosemu - too bad the CLI mode won't work or I could run WP on the TTL monitor and pictview in X on the VGA. Maybe I can at least do this for editing and type v e r y s l o w l y .

Is there some small viewer for X that adjusts image size properly?

zgv is still a good option. But you will find QuickView for Linux to be one of the best.
Is it precompiled for slackware?

Pictview was perfect for the job and easy to set up, but I had to run it
and WP51 on two computers under DOS. I will try running both Pictview
and WP51 under xdosemu, in two 'workspaces' so as to use full-screen mode.
And switching between them. How do you switch workspaces with icewm and
no mouse?.

I don't have WP51 for DOS to look at. Any idea where it can be downloaded ?

It is not freeware. WP42 works properly in CLI dosemu, 51 does not. WP42 fits on one 360K floppy disk apart from the spell checker and thesaurus. I used it on my 2-floppy no-HD first computer. WORD won't import it so I had to use 51 to send to other people.

It has (so far) failed to run:

Professional Write CDP DOS Controller(this is a real disappointment for
me) QuickView DSS MPXPLAY

What is DOS controller?

It is a DOS port of Midnight Commander (approximately) but a bit easier to configure. It has become my file-manager of choice for DOS. Unfortunately, under dosemu it doesn't find any of the "disks" except a: - the floppy drive, and that makes it unusable.
Odd.

I continue to try things.

I have found the following also usable under (x)dosemu: Breeze (word processor) clock damp (MP3 player) df46 (file manager) display (graphics viewer) dosamp (mp3 player) file maven (file transfer) laplink (file transfer) mxdir (fancy version of "dir") ndn (Necromancer's DOS Navigator) pv (graphics and avi player) sea (graphics) view (document viewer) mpeg.exe (mpeg player)

Good to know about laplink. Saves learning to do a serial cable file transfer. I have SEA3. Have you tried QPV (quick picture viewer) and DISPLAY (viewer, free). QPV needed DOS4GW and wont' even work easily with DR-DOS.

I haven't been able to get MIDIs to play under dosemu. :(

I wonder why, when FreeDOS is set up for SB16.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke