baslinux - Re: [BL] dosemu

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] dosemu
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:20:34 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 06:27:55 +0000 (UTC)
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> > Is there a need for another website source of packages for BL2 and BL3 ?
> > If so, I can set it up OK. But I think it is not a good idea to spread
> > the add-ons too thin unless there is a problem with space at the existing
> > sites. In that case, I should limit what I hold to those things without a
> > home elsewhere. There is no point in mirroring your website, Sindi,
> > unless you have to clear stuff out.
>
> I might run out of space but not immediately. However my site is rather
> slow for downloading. I average about 1K/sec with kermit.

My domain is a bit better than that. OK, so it might be a good idea if I
take the bigger packages and you keep the smaller ones. That should save you
some space, and reduce the download time for larger packages.
I will set up a BL2 and a BL3 download directories and post to this list.
Let me know what I should copy over from you, the URL where they are, and
which BL they are for.

> >> What programs does it work with?
>
> > I have had a poor performance from console dosemu, with many of the
> > characters being oddly mapped.
>
> WP51 was unusuable in console mode. The characters simply did not appear
> when typed. What do you mean about oddly mapped?

Some (sometimes most) of the on-screen text appeared as high ASCII
characters. Fortunately, I was able to fix that by invoking dosemu by adding
the switch " -V " (upper case V), which loaded it with VGA graphics in
console. Loading it as xdosemu didn't have a problem.

> > Xdosemu has performed well under X (I do not use vesa) for:
>
> > DOS Navigator XTreeGold Pedit Pictview Lxpic Arachne(off-line) MSP
> > PKZip/PKUnZip Tutordo MPEG.EXE CDFE (my CD player) my Chemical Data
> > Package all of my own stuff that I have tried.
>
> Why use pkzip instead of linux unzip?

Because the Linux unzip doesn't work in DOS. :)

> Could you dial with linux and then use Arachne online?

No. I haven't yet worked out how to access the ports from dosemu.

> What is Tutordo?

It is a file manager written by a guy in Italy. A little bit clunky, but
it works well as a file-finder for viewers/players as well as doing
file-managing things.

> Good to know about Pictview. I switched to DOS to use it today after
> getting frustrated with the sluggishness of xpdf (at 500MHz!). I
> converted the pdf files sent me (they were scanned images) back to images
> (pbm) with pdfimages (followed by pnminvert from netpbm to change it back
> to black on white from white on black, and then pnmtopng). zgv displays
> pngs but I don't know out how to configure the resolution to 1600
> configuration file and I see no man page here.

zgv is configurable from within the program. When the picture is
displayed, press " / " to see options, or press " [ " or " ] " to scroll
through resolutions.

> Is there some small viewer for X that adjusts image size properly?

zgv is still a good option. But you will find QuickView for Linux to be
one of the best.

> Pictview was perfect for the job and easy to set up, but I had to run it
> and WP51 on two computers under DOS. I will try running both Pictview
> and WP51 under xdosemu, in two 'workspaces' so as to use full-screen mode.
> And switching between them. How do you switch workspaces with icewm and
> no mouse?.

I don't have WP51 for DOS to look at. Any idea where it can be
downloaded ?

> > It has (so far) failed to run:
>
> > Professional Write CDP DOS Controller(this is a real disappointment for
> > me) QuickView DSS MPXPLAY
>
> What is DOS controller?

It is a DOS port of Midnight Commander (approximately) but a bit easier to
configure.
It has become my file-manager of choice for DOS. Unfortunately, under dosemu
it doesn't find any of the "disks" except a: - the floppy drive, and that
makes it unusable.

> > I continue to try things.

I have found the following also usable under (x)dosemu:
Breeze (word processor) clock damp (MP3 player) df46 (file manager)
display (graphics viewer)
dosamp (mp3 player) file maven (file transfer) laplink (file transfer)
mxdir (fancy version of "dir")
ndn (Necromancer's DOS Navigator) pv (graphics and avi player) sea
(graphics) view (document viewer)
mpeg.exe (mpeg player)

I haven't been able to get MIDIs to play under dosemu. :(

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke