baslinux - Re: [BL] dosemu

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] dosemu
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 19:16:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, James Miller wrote:

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

Thanks. I will try zgv in workspace 1 and xdosemu/WP51 in 2. Or maybe in
two windows in one workspace if I can figure out how to make one 80
columns.

I haven't been following this thread very closely, but I'm under the
impression that part of it concerns problems with dosemu display on a vt.
Is that correct? I just wanted to point out that xdosemu can be toggled to
full screen by some key or key sequence--forgot which key(s). If this is
relevant, or hasn't already been discussed, would it help the display
problems? My experimentation with this dosemu feature concerned version
1.2.1.

I was able to toggle dosemu in X using the mouse.
Alt-tab switches focus from rxvt to dosemu window.
I need to add the icewm menu in order to get another rxvt or another workspace. Installpkg bl2-x.tgz. (I set up BL2 with Xvesa and only the files needed for it). Delete the unwanted skins to save 50K or so.

My biggest problem was that WP51 omitted part of the letters as I typed them in CLI mode. I just installed it to a different computer with Tseng instead of Matrox video and it is working properly there (also dual-monitor, TTL works here as does VGA. But Alt-F1 is a WP command so I would need to set linux up with no vts and use 'screen' instead for 10 pseudo-vts. Also the bold works but underline does not in mda mode of linux. In X, I can set it up by choosing the right fond for either bold or underline (not both). Or small caps, etc.

My current science translation does not require underlines and I will attempt it without X, using dosemu for wp and zgv for displaying the images I am translating from, on the dual-monitor system. I have to toggle between vts because I cannot display both text and graphics at the same time on two monitors, only text or only graphics (but both monitors can display text at the same time).

I now, using [ ] to change resolution, have zgv displaying at what looks like 320, 640 (default), 800, and 1024 but not 1280 and I know this card and monitor do 1280 in svgalib.

With dosemu running I tried to exit X with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and I now have a turquoise screen with green stripe at the top and cannot use either of my two VGA vts. ps shows that X is not running. Reboot linux? Is there a better fix for getting back VGA?

It won't reboot either. Power switch still works.
Check forced.... It took a while to even start checking.

James