baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:53:51 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> > /slakware/n6/tcpip1.tgz
>
> Apart from the file in.telnetd do I need anything
> else from this package?

To run telnet server, all you need is in.telnetd.

> I used a dumb terminal without any terminal program.

It was a geniune dumb terminal? A piece of hardware
specifically designed for that purpose? In that case
you wouldn't use a terminal program. A terminal program
is used to turn a PC into a dumb terminal.

> Just modified some file

/etc/inittab

> to use ttyS0 as the dumb terminal hookup somehow.

In BL2 all you have to do is uncomment the s1 line and
set the speed to the same speed as the dumb terminal.

> Is DOS kermit a terminal program?

Can kermit dial and connect to a BBS? If so, it is a
terminal program.

> > You will find lsz (and lrz) in /slakware/a10/minicom.tgz
>
> I want to upload from DOS to linux.

lsz downloads. lrz uploads. Your terminal program
will probably accept the download automatically.

> I don't have those for DOS

You don't need them for DOS. Running lsz in Linux will
push the file at your terminal program (which should
automatically accept it and put it in your DOS download
directory). Running lrz in Linux will pull the specified
file from your terminal program.

> THere is some way to add zmodem to kermit but I never
> figured it out.

Then you will probably be better off with a DOS terminal
program (like commo) that includes zmodem.

> Is there a DOS plip?

Yes, the PLIP packetdriver for DOS should be available
at Simtel (or other DOS repository).

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru