baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:53:59 +0000 (UTC)

I uncommented the line in /hosts/inittab (s1) and changed speed from 19200 to 115200, then rebooted. I am trying first to get this working with two linux computers. I have no idea what to do next for the dumb terminal method. (I am also dumb). I don't have any terminal program other than kermit. I could set line /dev/ttyS0 but then I got a blank area with nothing happening.

So I copied in.telnet.d to /usr/sbin, on both computers.
I typed in.telnetd -debug on the first computer and got
a blinking cursor.
I typed telnet 192.168.1.1 (or clark) on the second computer
and was asked to login.

I was not allowed to login as root.
I logged in as user (no password required).
I could use sc and lynx. I could not use pico and save the file.

I need to create some file somewhere so I can login as root, I presume.
And maybe also give user permission to save files.

Then I dialed and telnetted here with clark and now I cannot telnet here from the other computer any more. Connection refused.

I have not tried file transfer yet. Kermit ought to work, I think.
Have to go back off line again first.