baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:58:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

/slakware/n6/tcpip1.tgz

Apart from the file in.telnetd do I need anything
else from this package?

To run telnet server, all you need is in.telnetd.

Would I also still need /etc/ppp/options containing at least local noauth and crtscrts as desribed in the linux serial networking site?

I used a dumb terminal without any terminal program.

It was a geniune dumb terminal? A piece of hardware
specifically designed for that purpose? In that case
you wouldn't use a terminal program. A terminal program
is used to turn a PC into a dumb terminal.

It was a genuine very old green-text dumb terminal. It took us a few days to get it working (no instructions to be found anywhere). Someone was trying to sell these for about $200 but never answered my email offering them two more.

I am told Kermit and probably Procomm are also terminal programs.
Is Puttytel, for those who want to connect with Windows to linux?

Just modified some file

/etc/inittab

to use ttyS0 as the dumb terminal hookup somehow.

In BL2 all you have to do is uncomment the s1 line and
set the speed to the same speed as the dumb terminal.

Is DOS kermit a terminal program?

Can kermit dial and connect to a BBS? If so, it is a
terminal program.

Yes. I can also telnet and do file transfer. And many other things I don't understand or yet have a use for.

You will find lsz (and lrz) in /slakware/a10/minicom.tgz

I want to upload from DOS to linux.

lsz downloads. lrz uploads. Your terminal program
will probably accept the download automatically.

I will try kermit file transfer too. We have just hooked up the nullmodem cable and reenabled Com2 so Com1 can be dedicated to this cable. The physical Com2 port has become Com3 and I plugged the external modem into it instead of Com1. (Not all computers will automatically do this).

I presume linux to linux would work the same way. Other than kermit, would minicom or microcom also work as a terminal program to use on the linux terminal?

I don't have those for DOS

You don't need them for DOS. Running lsz in Linux will
push the file at your terminal program (which should
automatically accept it and put it in your DOS download
directory). Running lrz in Linux will pull the specified
file from your terminal program.

THere is some way to add zmodem to kermit but I never
figured it out.

Then you will probably be better off with a DOS terminal
program (like commo) that includes zmodem.

Do lsz and rsz also include ymodem? Procomm does that.

Is there a DOS plip?

Yes, the PLIP packetdriver for DOS should be available
at Simtel (or other DOS repository).