baslinux - CLI 'wordprocessing' with text editor, was Re: [BL] HTML editor for BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: CLI 'wordprocessing' with text editor, was Re: [BL] HTML editor for BL2
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 03:45:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, sindi keesan wrote:

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Would a linux HTML editor be usable as a sort of
wordprocessor? That is, would it show you what
was bold, underlined, and centered?

That would depend on the editor.

Apparently some HTML editor will show these things.

If so is there some way to do a hard page with HTML?

That would depend on the editor.

I found a website that says there is NO way to do a hard page break with HTML, which is designed for screen not paper.

A page break can be specified with ps or rtf code.
Ps can be printed and rtf can be imported into other wordprocessors.

One could use a text editor combined with lynx or links to write HTML code, and then convert to ps to print or rtf to send elsewhere and add page breaks then.

Here are some useful links for converting between text, ps, pdf, html, rtf.

www.geocities.com/SilicaValley/5682/HeavyDuty.html

This describes many convertors including:

html2ps (a perl 5 script), available also for DOS (is there a Perl for DOS?) CLI or GUI.

htmldoc - html to ps or pdf

Netscape - converts HTML to ps so you can print web pages.
Opera might do the same.
Can links graphical print graphical html?

pstotext - based on ghostscript, available also for DOS.

prescript - also ps to text, ghostscript based.

pstohtml

www.inf.enst.fr/~demaille/a2ps/index.html
Any to PostScript, started as text to postscript and is intended as a way to print many languages.

One or more of these printed unicode. I don't know if they will print something like iso-8859-5 (Czech text, converted to ps, printed in graphic mode).

They are probably all CLI programs.

As a sort-of ordprocessor one could use a text editor combined with lynx, toggle lynx/editor to see the underlines and bolds and centering, use monospaced font at 80 columns, convert to ps, and add page breaks before printing.

Or convert from html to rtf using a variety of DOS or linux programs called things like html2rtf or htm2rtfp (DOS, at www.sac.sk, 630 and 450K), GNU html2rtf.pl (Perl script - 1996). Add page breaks and then send to people with WORD or other wordprocessors which can import rtf.

There is also an rtftohtml and rtf2html (DOS or linux) - see
many interesting (but often broken) links at:

www.w3.org/Tools/html2things.html
/Word_proc_filters.html
/Filters.html

This should not require 16-bit color like flwriter or abiword, or even X.

I even found an online htmltortf service (Sautin).

Sorry, this is not really related to HTML editors but to finding a small CLI wordprocessor that will run on old computers without 16-bit color.

I could not find any rtf editors besides Ted and Abiword. Or any viewers that toggle between code and WYSIWYG.

WORD users will accept html directly but if you need hard page breaks I don't think there is a way to specify them. I suppose you could put in some string that they could automatically convert to a page break such as
<page>. I may experiment on some clients.

Are there any small text editors (CLI) for linux which will do macros such as Ctrl-B for <bold> and Alt-B for </bold>? I don't think pico is up to this. I could also just type something like #b and $b and do a search and replace. Pico will search but I don't think it will replace.

What CLI linux text editors might handle macros and/or search and replace?
These would be handy for extended-ASCII characters instead of typing Alt-234.

It is fun reinventing the wheel.