baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:14:41 +0000 (UTC)

For DOS to linux telnet I need a packet driver.
I found two listed at www.undercoverdesign.com/dosghost/dos, put together by someone who uses DOS and linux, with many excellent links.
dosppp06.zip (over 300K), the standard
lsppp.zip (about 50K), fewer features but maybe easier to set up.

He also had a link to the DRDOS/OpenDOS Enhancement Project, which is up to DRDOS 7.01.06 (stable) and 7.01.07 (unstable, fixed problem with XMSDSK). 06 has FAT32 support. SOmeone else is offering DRDOS 7.04 and 7.05 which are said to be really buggy and won't rename files sometimes. But there is a patch or maybe a way to just use part of the new stuff.

I wrote the forum suggesting the author of this site take a look at basiclinux. He listed a few other small linuxes in his links.

I have no idea what I did right the first time but now I cannot telnet between linux computers while running in.telnetd -debug on the second one. It worked a few times, stopped working while I was dialed into the net on the target computer, worked again while still dialed in, then after I rebooted to try with DOS (needs a packet driver) it won't work again. Lucky me. I made sure the cable was pushed in at both ends.

I should have taken better notes.
kermit
Kermit>set line /dev/ttyS0
telnet clark

Could not establish a connection. Cable is in Com1 (ttyS0).