baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:52:53 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> I uncommented the line in /hosts/inittab (s1) and
> changed speed from 19200 to 115200, then rebooted.

Setting the line speed to max is a bad idea at this stage.
Once you get the connection working, you can up the speed
and see if it will work reliably at 115200.

> I am trying first to get this working with two linux
> computers.

Why? It is simpler to use the DOS box as the dumb terminal.

> I have no idea what to do next for the dumb terminal
> method.

Plug one end of your nullmodem cable into the Linux box
(at the port specified in /etc/inittab) and the other
end into the DOS box (at the port specified in the config
file of your DOS com program).

Configure your DOS com program for non-dialing connection
and vt100 (or similar). Start the com program, press ENTER
and you should get the login from the Linux box.

> I don't have any terminal program other than kermit.

As I said before, I use commo and it works well. Other
DOS com programs will work (although some will be better
suited for this purpose than others). I am unfamiliar
with kermit, so I can't say whether it is a good choice.
But commo works, it is relatively small and it is readily
available for download.

> So I copied in.telnet.d to /usr/sbin,

No, no, no. telnet has nothing to do with this.

> on both computers.

Even if you were using telnet, you put the server
(telnetd) on one computer only. The other system
then runs the telent client (already in BasicLinux).

> I typed in.telnetd -debug on the first computer
> I typed telnet 192.168.1.1 (or clark) on the second computer
> I logged in as user (no password required).
> I could use sc and lynx.
> I could not use pico and save the file.

Probably a permission or alias problem.

> I need to create some file somewhere so I can login
> as root, I presume.

Probably /etc/securetty. Or maybe /etc/login.access.

> And maybe also give user permission to save files.
>
> Then I dialed and telnetted here with clark and now I
> cannot telnet here from the other computer any more.

Are you sure the telnet server is still running?
--
ps
--

> I have not tried file transfer yet.

For transfering files you need a different server (eg ftpd).
Or you could use BL send/receive.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru