baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:03:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I uncommented the line in /hosts/inittab (s1) and
changed speed from 19200 to 115200, then rebooted.

Setting the line speed to max is a bad idea at this stage.
Once you get the connection working, you can up the speed
and see if it will work reliably at 115200.

I will see if this comport works better at 19200.
But the problem with kermit occurs when I try to set line, before trying to set speed.

I am trying first to get this working with two linux
computers.

Why? It is simpler to use the DOS box as the dumb terminal.

I have no idea what to do next for the dumb terminal
method.

Plug one end of your nullmodem cable into the Linux box
(at the port specified in /etc/inittab) and the other
end into the DOS box (at the port specified in the config
file of your DOS com program).

Configure your DOS com program for non-dialing connection
and vt100 (or similar). Start the com program, press ENTER
and you should get the login from the Linux box.

I would have to learn how to configure it this way.
I will give it a try with Kermit. com1 modem type none
Type c to connect (not enter).

I already managed to telnet a few times without configuring things
(just had to set line to /dev/ttyS0).

I don't have any terminal program other than kermit.

As I said before, I use commo and it works well. Other
DOS com programs will work (although some will be better
suited for this purpose than others). I am unfamiliar
with kermit, so I can't say whether it is a good choice.
But commo works, it is relatively small and it is readily
available for download.

So I copied in.telnet.d to /usr/sbin,

No, no, no. telnet has nothing to do with this.

in.telnetd (typo). I know, this is a second method that I tried when the first was not obvious to me.

on both computers.

Even if you were using telnet, you put the server
(telnetd) on one computer only. The other system
then runs the telent client (already in BasicLinux).

Yes, but I wanted to try this in both directions, to be sure the hardware worked. THe hardware is not working so well.

I have the same problem in both directions. I have to telnet to 192.168.1.1 in both directions and get Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused. I typed on the other computer in.telnetd -debug first. Why is it always the same host number? If .2 it says 'no route to host'. I have ethernet running, don't know how to unload it. Am I telnetting over ethernet or serial? Plain telnet, not kermit (which lets me choose /dev/ttyS0). I will have to reboot to try without ethernet again, or how to I rmmod the module when it says it is busy?

I typed in.telnetd -debug on the first computer
I typed telnet 192.168.1.1 (or clark) on the second computer
I logged in as user (no password required).
I could use sc and lynx.
I could not use pico and save the file.

Probably a permission or alias problem.
Yes, I would rather log in as root to avoid this.

I need to create some file somewhere so I can login
as root, I presume.

Probably /etc/securetty. Or maybe /etc/login.access.

securetty
This file defines which devices root can log in on.
tty1 tty2 tty3 tty4
I just added ttyS0 to 3.
I have no file login.access

And maybe also give user permission to save files.

Then I dialed and telnetted here with clark and now I
cannot telnet here from the other computer any more.

Are you sure the telnet server is still running?
No.

--
ps
--

Good thing to know. It keeps terminating now without accepting any connections, maybe timing out.

I have not tried file transfer yet.

For transfering files you need a different server (eg ftpd).
Or you could use BL send/receive.
Okay, but I can no longer get this comport to behave.

Kermit has telnet and file transfer and I might be able to transfer files with kermit over the telnet connection like I do to my bbs.