baslinux - Re: [BL] HTML editor for BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] HTML editor for BL2
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 02:33:15 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Would a linux HTML editor be usable as a sort of
wordprocessor? That is, would it show you what
was bold, underlined, and centered?

That would depend on the editor.

I looked at the two below. nvu says it aims to be non-technical and easy for a beginner to use. I don't know if BL2 would support it - it seems to need gtk2. Compiling calls for 256MB RAM, 300MB hard drive, and a patch for glibc2. gcc 2.9.5 and perl are needed.

So I looked at bluefish. They have an older version 0.7 which works with gtk1 or 1.2 which SW7.1 does have.

gtk implies X is needed. I was hoping for console mode.

nvu says you can toggle between WYSIWYG and HTML code.

You can also do that with lynx or Arachne (I have not tried linux Arachne) using the text editor of your choice. If you know how to write html code already you could make macros for the commonly used code. In lynx type e to edit (I think, have not done this recently). But first you need to type the code and then look at it once in a while using lynx.

Links probablby has an editing mode too, better for tables.

I have a DOS spreadsheet program that can output HTML tables. Is there a liux spreadsheet program which can do this?

If so is there some way to do a hard page with HTML?

That would depend on the editor.

No, I was asking if HTML code can specify that a page ends and a new page starts. I could never find any code for this. I suppose I could try writing a few such pages with Abiword and export as HTML to see what happens.

I figured out how to write rtf using an export filter but the filters tend to specify all sorts of unnecessary defaults (such as black text). A text editor with macros for RTF would also work as wordprocessor but is there some program (catdoc?) that lets you toggle between WYSIWYG and code?

Do these editors so the usual cut and paste and search as well?

That would depend on the editor.

I suggest you have a look at some Linux HTML editors.

Here are two to get you started:
http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/
http://www.nvu.com/

Have you tried either of these with BL? They do seem smaller than Abiword and might work without all those colors. Anyone with WORD can import the HTML, but how would one print it? Is there an htmltops convertor? Is there even a text to ps convertor for printing other charsets?
rtf to ps?