baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 18:25:48 +1300

Sebastian wrote:

> My nullmodem cable is a parallel one, so that I want
> to connect it to the LPT1.

AFAIK the dumb-terminal (direct-connect) method only
works via serial connections. For parallel connection
you need to use PLIP to establish a TCP/IP network.
Then you can use DOS telnet (or other TCP/IP client)
to connect to the Linux box.

To get PLIP working, you need to run a PLIP driver at
both ends. BasicLinux comes the the Linux PLIP driver
(see ~/netsetup for the precise commands). For the
DOS side, you will need to get the PLIP packetdriver
for DOS. It should be downloadable from Simtel
(or other DOS repository).

WARNING: in order for PLIP to work, *both* computers
must have a parallel port that is fully bi-directional.
Many parallel ports (especially on laptops) are not
fully bi-directional.

> > Run an ordinary terminal program (like telix, commo
> > or terminate) on the DOS
>
> I supose these programs are freely available.

Oh yes, they are standard utilities for DOS. Any DOS
repository will probably have several terminal programs.
Personally I recommend commo, but there are many good
terminal programs for DOS.

> > the Linux box. All you have to do on the Linux box to get
> > this to work is to uncomment the s1 line of /etc/inittab
> > (naturally you have to set your DOS terminal program for
> > the same speed you have in /etc/inittab). Note: reset your
> > Linux box for the new /etc/inittab to take effect.
>
> And that is all? So easy?

Yes, it is that easy for *serial* connection. Parallel
port networking is much more complicated.

> > > The BL2 FAQ says to install 'the telnet server'
> > > but which package is this?
> > /slakware/n6/tcpip1.tgz
>
> But you say it would not be necessary, don't you?

A telnet server is not necessary for a local serial
login.

> > That is the method I recommend. It is much simpler
> > to set up (assuming you can handle the set up of a
> > DOS terminal program).
>
> With this method we do not need to install anything else
> to the BL, right?

For a serial login, there is nothing to add to BL2.
You simply edit /etc/inittab to tell the getty to
open a serial port for login. That will enable a
dumb terminal to log in.

To login via a parallel port, you need to install a
daemon (telnetd) to accept the login.

> So if does not use telnet, what kind of server does
> it use to do the connection?

It uses agetty, the standard login daemon.

> > Use lsz on the Linux box to download files
> > to your DOS terminal. You will find lsz
> > (and lrz) in /slakware/a10/minicom.tgz
>
> So we must install minicom.tgz package, right?

You don't need the entire package (although you
can install it if you wish). Just lsz for
downloading (or lrz if you want to do transfers
in the other direction).

> > Direct-connect it to a serial port on the Linux box
> > and run a DOS terminal program on the 286.
>
> Could it work direct-connecting it to a parallel port?

No, the dumb-terminal method is serial. I suggest you
get a serial null-modem cable. A second-hand one should
only cost you only a few of dollars.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru