baslinux - [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:20:44 +0000 (UTC)

I want to be able to telnet via nullmodem cable from a computer using DOS to a computer using BL2. I have kermit (which does telnet and file transfer) at both ends. Apparently I need to have a telnet server on the linux computer, which might be the same as the inet daemon. I am trying to make sense out of information at a website on 'Serial Networking: Connecting to a Linux Computer' which talkes about an Acorn tcp/ip stack and needing to edit /etc/hosts (Steven has done this already so that we can specify lois instead of 192.16.1.1), /etc/ppp/options (there but blank), and a syslog.conf (not there).

It is suggested that one not use a serial mouse (or probably an external modem plugged into Com1) if there is no Com2 or Com3. I have two computers with Com1 (ttyS0) free, both 115100 ports, and a nullmodem cable to plug between them.

I am supposed to install and configure a telnet server. The BL2 FAQ says to install 'the telnet server' but which package is this? I found tcpip1 which is 'basic utilities'. Is it some file(s) in there? I already have two telnet programs and probably don't need most of the 2.5M (uncompressed) package if that is it. What is the server named? Every place I looked on the web they assumed you were already familiar with this.

Another website describing how to telnet from a Commodore 64 to Vectorlinux said to type pppd /dev/ttyS0 115200 192.168.1.1:192.168.1.2 local crtscts noauth. (These last three are to be listed in the /etc/ppp/options file, according to the first website). Then you use something called 'The Wave' which I do not have (or might it be wvdial?).
Do I use pppd instead to establish a connection or to turn on the telnet server? Can I use pppd instead of a telnet server somehow?

What do crtscts and noauth mean? Something about how packets are sent and maybe no need for authorizations (security)?

I am probably mixing up several different methods. Could someone please spell this out in detail?

I did manage once to do a kermit file transfer without telnetting, between DOS and linux, and another time used a dumb terminal as a real terminal to linux, both via nullmodem cable.

What I would like is to telnet from my DOS to my linux computer and do file transfers and maybe even dial the net from linux and use the DOS computer as a terminal somehow, letting me access the web from DOS that way and download files directly to it (via kermit file transfer). Then I could use an old (286) lunchbox computer (with TTL plasma screen!) with DOS on it as a linux terminal and DOS wordprocessor. I have CUTCP and Kermit telnet programs, FTP program from Arachne, Nettamer with its own ftp and telnet. The computer has no PS/2 port but I don't need a mouse for DOS.

Woonsig wrote to BL list last year about setting up a telnet server but that thread fizzled out quickly.

I don't want to learn DOS ethernet right now.