baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 mail menu

  • From: Ian Scott <mriscott AT yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 mail menu
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 05:14:21 -0500 (EST)

> Your rxvt never has a cursor??? Even when running solo?
> Something is weird there. Could be a milder form of the
> Xvesa clash.

I have always had a problem when I boot linux from win98 where I have no
cursor
at all in X, and network doesn't work, etc. I get a load of IRQ conflicts
and other nasties reported when I boot up.

You can use a boot menu in dos 6.0+.

The secret is to define a bunch of menu items in config.sys and equivalent
commands in autoexec.bat.

1) Config.sys: add this at the top:

[menu]
menuitem=DOS, Boot to DOS
menuitem=BL3, Boot to BasicLinux 3
menudefault=DOS, 5

[BL3]

[DOS]

Autoexec.bat:

Add this to the top of autoexec.bat

goto %CONFIG%

:BL3
cd C:\baslin
boot

:DOS

How this works:

config.sys sets up a menu with two items: DOS and BL3. If you don't press
anything it goes to DOS after 5 seconds (the menudefault line).

There are then blocks of drivers, etc to load under [BL3] and [DOS] for each
option. Put your normal DOS drivers under [DOS] and nothing under [BL3].

autoexec.bat sets up to labels (:BL3 and :DOS). The goto %CONFIG% line goes
whichever is chosen in the menu - i.e. if you choose DOS, it jumps over the
lines to boot BL3.

Further details of this are available at
http://www.geocities.com/politalk/dos/bootmenu.htm. You can also do other
funky things like setting colors, etc.

Hope this helps,

Ian