baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 mail menu

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 mail menu
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:54:38 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > I could not see the numbers that I typed
>
> Sounds like a bug. It would be useful if you could track
> down the cause. Nothing like that has ever happen on the
> two computers I use for testing.

I will note if it happens on other computers. After the third boot, I can
see the numbers on this computer now. Maybe changing video cards would
make the problem come back? This is S3Trio64V+.

> > > Are you booting from bare DOS?
> >
> > No, we have himem.sys and emm386.exe in config.sys,
>
> Then that could be the cause of your problem. Both of
> those crash Xvesa for me.

So why did things start working now? Why have they always worked on
another computer with the same config.sys and autoexec.bat? I think the
difference must be in the hardware. cpu or video card?

> > because this is a DOS computer used for DOS as well as BL3.
> > I thought the whole point of BL was for use on a DOS computer,
> > not on its own computer,
>
> Not necessarily. It boots from DOS because unzip-and-boot is
> simple and doesn't require partitioning. As for BL3, I'm
> hoping that some dusty computers (currently used for nothing)
> might get a new life as Xterminals.
>
> > and I can't use DOS very well without autoexec.bat and config.sys.
>
> I'm sure somebody as experienced as you knows how to do a
> config.sys menu. Or simply press SHIFT when DOS boots to
> bypass config.sys and autoexec.bat.

I have been using the RAMdisk linuxes to go online with, on my mostly-DOS
computer. I already have too many computers in use at once and don't plan
to have any that do just linux.

I don't have any idea how to do a config.sys menu. Next time I have
problems with invisible numbers I will try doing SHIFT. I can't fix the
problem because it no longer occurs. I suppose I could delete BL3 on
that computer and start over again but then I would have to save a few
files to which I have made changes. Don't have time right now. We will
be setting up more computers and will look for bugs on them.

> > I will see if booting from a bare DOS on floppy disk fixes
> > the lack of a cursor in rxvt.
>
> Your rxvt never has a cursor??? Even when running solo?
> Something is weird there. Could be a milder form of the
> Xvesa clash.

You explained that I need to move the mouse X to the rxvt window in
order to get a cursor.

I have not had any Xvesa clash, just invisible numbers and letters on teh
OTHER computer.

> Cheers,
> Steven
>

> P.S. Do you know what partition your DrDOS systems use for C:?
> I'd like to add that option to the BL3 boot routine.

hda1 on the two that I checked. But D: is hda3 on one.