baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 mail menu

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 mail menu
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:36:40 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> If booting without anything in autoexec.bat and config.sys

There will only be a few lines (perhaps just one) that
mess things up. However, initially, it is best to leave
out the entire autoexec.bat and config.sys.

> I would like to be able to use all the BLs after booting
> into regular DOS and using programs there, some of which
> require autoexec.bat and config.sys.

As I mentioned before, I tried different versions of himem.sys
until I found one (from MSDOS 5) that didn't mess things up.
So now I boot DOS as usual (with config.sys and autoexec.bat)
and when I boot BL3, everything works fine. I did have to
leave out smartdrv completely -- I couldn't find a version
that coexisted with Xvesa. There are other disk-cache
programs I could use, but I haven't try any of them (yet).

> A couple of problems seem to go away after rebooting a
> few times.

That's a bit of a worry. It might just be user unfamiliarity,
but it could mean there's something wrong with my initial
installation.

> Xvesa works despite himem.sys and emm386.exe (Win98).

I'm surprised to hear that (given all the problems I've had
here with himem.sys, emm386.exe and smartdrv).