baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 mail menu

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 mail menu
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:59:15 -0500 (EST)

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > we could not figure out whether to type k, or 3 then k
>
> BL3 understands both options. As well as K and 3K.
>
> > In BL3 I would have typed just 'k' to keep messages,
>
> That works.
>
> > and just H for help (not 6H).
>
> All of them work in BL3: H or h or 6H or 6h.

Nice. Except none of them worked for me because I could not see the
numbers that I typed, and assumed it was not working.

> > Other people have reported needing to boot twice to get
> > something to work. I think it was Xvesa.
>
> I assumed that occurred because of DOS himem garbage.
> I recommend that people boot from bare DOS (without
> CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT).
>
> > There seems to be some video prolem - missing curssor in rxvt,
> > missing numbers in mail, missing letters in startx, need to
> > reboot to get video to work with Xvesa.
>
> Are you booting from bare DOS?

No, we have himem.sys and emm386.exe in config.sys, because this is a DOS
computer used for DOS as well as BL3. I thought the whole point of BL was
for use on a DOS computer, not on its own computer, and I can't use DOS
very well without autoexec.bat and config.sys.

My partner was saying something about registers (video?) being programmed
with some default value, that gets reset the first time a program is used
and stays set to the new value after that. Maybe that is going on here.

I will see if booting from a bare DOS on floppy disk fixes the lack of a
cursor in rxvt. That problem is not fixing itself when I reboot.