baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:34:59 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> maybe I will leave this newest library. Is there
> anything else that should be added from SW81 to
> make it a complete set of compiling libraries?

binutils
gcc
kernel-headers
make

> There were five files that I added for compiling
> - should I replace the other four as well to get
> something consistent?

The advantage of doing that is you end up with
GCC-2.95.3, which is often recommended as the best
version of GCC to use.

> If I leave the new glibc how do I remove the old one?

I wouldn't worry about the old one. It won't cause any harm.
If you really want to get rid of it, have a look in /lib.
You will see several parallel files: one with a 2.1.3
designation and one with 2.2.5. The relevant symbolic link
will be pointing to the 2.2.5 version. You can simply delete
the 2.1.3 version.

> I recall doing a removepkg once when libraries were involved
> stopped BL2 from working.

Don't use removepkg for this. It wasn't designed for this
situation (where a different version of a library was installed
right on top of an active library). Removepkg might accidently
remove something vital.