baslinux - Re: [BL] parallel cable transfer

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] parallel cable transfer
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:35:11 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> A google search found me Steven's instructions
> to look in /root/netsetup

I also did some instructions earlier which are here:
http://www.volny.cz/basiclinux/oldpc/plip.html

> ifconfig plip0 192.168.1.1 pointopoint 192.168.1.2
>
> As it turns out you need to reverse the order of the
> numbers on the second computer.

When you use ifconfig (for any type of network), you
must assign a unique number to each host. For plip
there are only two hosts involved (hence pointopoint).
In the example 192.168.1.1 is assigned to one computer
and 192.168.1.2 to the other (the relevant ifconfig must
be executed on both systems).

> The numbers are the 'hostname'.

The unique designation of the host is a number. This
can have a name attached to it by running a Name Server
daemon on the network or by recording the number-name
pairs in your /etc/hosts.

BTW, you can speed up your browsing by putting your
most frequently visited sites in /etc/hosts. That will
save a trip to your ISP's Domain Name Server. Here is
a copy of my /etc/hosts:
---------------------------------
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.1 clark
192.168.1.2 lois
192.168.1.3 jimmy
203.96.16.164 mail.ihug.co.nz
203.96.16.160 pop.ihug.co.nz
203.96.16.126 www.ihug.co.nz
66.35.250.150 slashdot.org
202.135.231.2 www.trademe.co.nz
216.239.33.99 www.google.com
63.236.73.20 linuxtoday.com
----------------------------------

> I tried to send and it asked for hostname.

The send utility is designed to be used on any kind of
TCP/IP network (probably even over a dial-up connection).
It is not just for a single link between two systems.
So you need to tell it where (in the world) to send the
file.

> I spent half an hour experimenting with 'hostname'.
> Type hostname - you get back BasicLinux.

That's correct. The default hostname of your system
is BasicLinux (it's recorded in /etc/HOSTNAME).

> Type hostname cw (for a computer with cw on it).
> type hostname on that computer and you get cw.

But the next time you boot, it will take the hostname
from /etc/HOSTNAME

> Try to send to hostname cw - unknown host

How is it supposed to know who cw is? That's why
you put that information in /etc/hosts

> And was able to specify thefile name (no wild cards

Wildcards work for me.

> but you can send a directory full) and it sent.

You can test send/receive on a single computer by running
receive in one directory and sending from another (using
localhost for the hostname). You can also test servers
(eg. HTTP) this way.