baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 22:28:28 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> James Miller wrote:
> >
> > It seemed to get a dhcp offer and set itself up,
>
> It gets the addresses and tells you, but it doesn't
> actually set them up for you. You have to do that
> by hand.
>
> > Only by finally entering those parameters manually did
> > I finally get the thing on the network.
>
> That's how it works.

Ok, so I did figure out how it works. It's a semi-manual dhcp client. It
could be serviceable for me I guess, if I do end up having to use dhcp.

> Apparently the dhcp client in BL2 works much better (but
> again, I have never used it personally).

I can vouch for that: it definitely gets the dhcp offer, ifconfig's eth0,
adds the gateway, net address and dns and informs you of the lease time.
Works as expected. I just never came across one before that expected you
to enter all the values it gives manually. Anyway, that may be workable.

> I can guarantee you that the Xvesa mini-distro I am working
> on will not do dhcp (at least for a long time). There are
> far more important issues to sort out.

If my network does get set up with dhcp, and if I do want to try out this
386 as an xterminal, and if the net.i (or other similar) kernel works for
NIC detection and leaves sufficient RAM for other needed stuff, do you
think I'll still be able to use the semi-manual BL1 dhcp client? I guess
it sort of complicates getting the xsession. Maybe this calls for a
little script asking values for ifconfig, net and gateway addresses before
exporting the xsession? I'll have to mull this over a bit more.

James