baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 00:32:34 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> James Miller wrote:
> >
> > If my network does get set up with dhcp,
>
> I thought we were talking about your personal network.
> Is this some other network?

Personal network. I'm probably going to ask a friend's help setting up a
new firewall/router since I'll be on a university network. I'm sure he'll
want to go with dhcp instead of static addressing. But I think we can
work out some compromise :) I'll be trying to shoot for static
addressing, since I know it better and for the sake of trying out this
experiment.

> It won't if you get a permanent lease assignment from
> the dhcp server.

That's another possibility, yes.

> With permanent addresses and permanent parameters for
> Xvesa, it would be possible to write a script to boot
> directly to the Xterminal. Adding some short scripts
> is no problem; however, trying to add functionality
> (via additional binaries) is unlikely to work. There
> is little flexibility in this hack (it's amazing that
> it actually does function as an X terminal).
>
> In the future (if I decide to continue in this direction)
> there will be a more flexible option. But that's probably
> a couple of months down the track.

I think I can work out a static addressing scheme of one sort or another.
So I'll be moving things in that direction as I get the new
router/firewall set up in the new locale.

James