baslinux - [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:47:33 -0500 (EST)

I downloaded (over the course of a couple of hours, using wget when the
phone was free, with -c to continue interrupted downloads)
glibc-2.2.5 and cxxlibs-6.2 from Slackware 8.1 and did installpkg on them.
The first is 24M and took quite a while.

I downloaded Opera 7.23 for Linux static .tar.gz version and installed
that too. Copied it to / and did tar -zxvf opera....tar.gz, changed to
the directory it created by the same name as the downloaded file, and ran
install.sh and it overwrote the opera 6 executable (it may have left two
opera 6 directories behind it) and used the same preferences.

Can I uninstall Opera 6 by just deleting the two directories or are there
files in them that I would need?
/usr/lib/opera-60.3...../opera about 50K
/opera-6.03.../opera - contains 12M of files including the binary
I suppose I could direct icewm at this version via the path.....

I tested 7.23 online at the aol main page, which Opera 6 was showing me
with no images loaded as abunch of overlapping and thus unreadable boxes
with alt tags in them. It showed them in readable form. It also loaded
all the images without crashing when i typed Shift-G, which 6 would not
do. I think 6 should be abandoned. This was worth the 24M download.
The crashes had nothing to do with my amount of RAM.

With 'don't load images' and choosing graphical ads, you see [image]
instead of an ad banner.

Do I need to uninstall the older two libraries if I want to save space, or
did the new ones overwrite them?

I presume I can now use any programs from Slackware 8.1 as wellas the ones
from 7.1. I will try Screen again - it would not work (the one from 8.0
that was supposed to be static) tho it worked on my 486.

I tried it - this time it tells me Tgetent warning your termcap entry is
too long. ???

What do I need other than bare.i to do sound on this computer? I presume
that an ESS sound chip won't work, but maybe I can disable that and put in
a CT Soundblaster card. There was something about a sound module. I want
to try Realaudio with linux for fun. The websites I listened to using
Opera broadcast realaudio 8 - is there a version of this for linux? Also
realmedia, whatever that is, and Windows Media Player format (which I
suspect linux won't do). One of them needed DirectX, which Linux does not
support because of security issues. Anyone want to explain this?