baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:13:48 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > > Not just kernels.
> >
> > What else counts as 'system software'?
>
> Just about anything. You know: "software".
> That runs on the "system".

So why did they bother with all those words - you need kernel-headers to
compile 'system software'. What else would you compile if not that?

Jim reports that with the rest of the files updated he can compile Hello
World again. The combination of the old and new did not work.

> > If we use this compiler to compile some program,
> > will it still run on SW71 with the older runtime
> > libraries?
>
> It doesn't matter which compiler you use. What matters
> is which C library you use to compile. Since you apparently
> installed the full glibc 2.2 library, that's gonna be the
> one the compiler uses (unless you replace it with the full
> glibc 2.1 library).
>
> > If not, I will leave the older compiler on one computer
>
> Your old compiler will happily compile using your installed
> glibc 2.2 library.

It did not, but perhaps it was a user error. The question was, then, if I
have glibc2.2, will the compiled program no longer work on SW71 (BL2) and
if so, I will use the older library to compile.

> > want to remind me where to get the binary?
>

> > Is it linked to your site?
>
> No. Because it requires those two libraries from Slack81.

We found it - 9M download of a .bin file which says to make it executable
with chmod u+x (I wonder what is u) and execute it from the directory it
is in. Opera, to install, I think had to be in / - does Firebird?

This seems to be the linux equivalent of .exe instead of .zip.

> Why do you prefer it to Opera? Is it somewhat usable without
> > a mouse? How large is the download?

They claim you can move between links by typing the first few letters of
them. This might be faster than tabbing (Netscape) or typing a/q (Opera).
Too bad you cannot number all the links as in lynx/links.

9M download.

We have not yet tried it. It got quite late.

Sindi Keesan