baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:05:57 +1300

James Miller wrote:

> I've got a really neat little 386 SX 25 with 4MB RAM
> let's say I installed BL1 there, then the xvesa binary.

That particular binary was compiled on glibc2 (BL1 has libc5).
I haven't seen any libc5 versions of Xvesa; however, I have
seen one compiled on uClibc (a slim lib used for embedded
devices). Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a uClibc
version of BasicLinux. There's quite a lot of uClibc stuff
being developed, so it wouldn't be as much a dead end as
libc5. I'll give that some thought.

> Could I then use it to get an xsession from my more up to
> date machine that runs Debian?

That part is easy (once you have the network going between
the two systems). You start Xvesa with the -ac parameter
and it accepts connections from other systems. Then a
one-line command on the Debian machine will send the display
to Xvesa. The neat thing about Xvesa is that it needs no
Xlib, no Xbin, no fonts. Just the bare executable can
function as an X terminal.

> Shall I give it a whirl? Pointers on how?

The first problem is establishing a network. I assume you
are going to use PCMCIA? Or did you have something else
in mind?