baslinux - Re: [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Opera 7 and glibc/cxx update work well
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:58:40 -0500 (EST)

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > > binutils
> > > gcc
> > > kernel-headers
> > > make
> >
> > kernel-headers says it is needed to compile system
> > software, which I presume means kernels.
>
> Not just kernels.

What else counts as 'system software'?

> > Would we want to use the sw81 compiler software to
> > compile an SW71 kernel?
>
> Yes, you can compile a 2.2.16 kernel with the compiler
> in Slack81.

If we use this compiler to compile some program, will it still run
on SW71 with the older runtime libraries? If not, I will leave the older
compiler on one computer and compile lynx there so everyone can use it.

> > Okay. If I change to an SW81 kernel am I now using SW81?
>
> You can call it whatever you like. The Slackware distros
> are simply a collection of packages (current at the time
> they were assembled for the distro).

I guess I would have SW81 with older packages in that case.
And it would let me choose between running packages from either SW71 or
SW81 (which are newer but often I don't need the new features which make
it larger)

> > Is there any other program we should try now that we have
> > the new glbic?
>
> I use Phoenix 0.5 (now called Firebird). I strongly
> prefer it to Opera

Sounds fun - want to remind me where to get the binary? Is it linked to
your site? Why do you prefer it to Opera? Is it somewhat usable without
a mouse? How large is the download?

> > This comptuer is our fastest, with 128M RAM and 500MHz cpu
>
> Phoenix would perform very well on that machine.
We may as well try it there on the 8G drive.
That is the computer that I cannot get to do more than 8-bit color.
Have not yet had time to try Xvesa with other video cards.