baslinux - Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] xvesa arguments found
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:07:42 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> The key to this working on your 386 is for you to
> find a kernel that activates your network card
> (without the need for modules). I suggest you
> start with the net.i kernel from Slackware 3.5
> (or an older Slackware if you can find it).
> Boot it on your computer and scan the kernel
> output on the screen for some mention of eth0.
> If it finds your card, we are in business.

I've checked the Slackware mirrors linked from the BL1 site for the net.i
kernel. If size is the concern here (possibly an assumption that earlier
kernels are going to be smaller than later ones), then the Slack3.5 kernel
is the one to go with. net.i in both Slack 3.3 and 3.4 (the earliest I
found on those mirrors was 3.3) is slightly larger than net.i in Slack3.5
(584KB as opposed to 588KB). So, was your advice to look for an even
earlier kernel given on size considerations?

James

PS These are bzimages, btw. Can BL1's loadlin handle bzimages?