msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Working/training with air support

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lois Guyon <laguyon2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Working/training with air support
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 11:02:31 -0700 (PDT)

I have inadvertently found an interesting way to train horses to things
moving overhead. A state park where I ride has an air field for those radio
controlled model airplanes. The first time my horse saw and heard those
little planes she was concerned that they were going to come and pounce.
They move quickly and make an unusual noise. Luckily the planes were some
distance from the horse trails when I first encountered them. By gradually
moving her closer, she now can deal with them. You might consider talking to
one of those model plane clubs and have them do some controlled flying at
your training sessions.

Another place I have trained is at the railroad station. We have a busy
track with trains every 20 minutes or so. The trains both come at the horses
and move away. Of course the noise is loud and includes not only the engine
noise but the whistles. Train staff wave at the horses. We start with the
horses away from the tracks and gradually move them closer.

Lois
LaSalle County, IL
Sheriff's MSAR