msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Working/training with air support

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Working/training with air support
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 07:59:20 -0600

Tm' Fi wrote:
>Flying debris from the HC down draft seems to be more
>spooky than the HC itself.

That has been my experience too. And that is why I mentioned
training on a polo field or similar large grassy area clear of
any debris. That is my New Mexico bias coming into play; the
only suitable grassy areas in the region are irrigated fields,
playing fields, parks, golf courses. The local airports are
cement pads and desert. Cement means footing too slippery for
anxious horses. Desert means loose dirt and gravel, and cholla
cactus is the main biomass: all make for nasty flying debris.