msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] more on CAP from Dana

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] more on CAP from Dana
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 15:02:53 -0400

[Deleted included prior post and HTML duplicate. -Una]

Lois, I know my EPM gelding is not unspookable enough to be near a chopper
and desensitization to equipment is a great idea. I heard even children's
bumble balls and pool noodles are inexpensive tools to introduce. I wonder
if you could contact a nearby CAP or other military base to ask to trailer in
so your mounts could "see" the planes and get close to realize they are not
too scary. It would be a wise test to know if a horse can handle it BEFORE
you were in that situation. The soft earplugs some people use for show
horses could come loose or not train the horse to deal with the sounds of
chaos.

I was riding my semi-retired gelding out in the hay pasture where I board
and an air balloon took off nearby. The hissing of the flame and its
lowflying nature had my gelding convinced it may be after him. I did my best
not to transmit any worry from my seat or body language and talked to him,
but did not let him turn around or bolt home. It went OK, but I seriously
think I would like to find a draft cross or dead quiet (as much as possible)
ranch horse to be most safe at MSAR.

Our CAP has mostly retired pilots, many ex-military and some civilians with
radio, legal and other skills. I am one of the few women at this time, but a
mounted patrol would possibly be a recruitment tool. Dana