msar-riders - [MSAR] Working/training with air support

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Working/training with air support
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:59:47 -0600

Lois Guyon wrote:
> I know some of you train with the ground units and dogs, but
>what about relating to the CAP and others?

In New Mexico, SAR air support is common. CAP usually are in
fixed wing aircraft, so encounters with them are more remote.
WRT field teams, training together with CAP primarily involves
radio communications and coordinated task assignments during
mock searches. WRT SAR management, training includes specific
orientations during our statewide ICS Section Chief schools,
to address effective use of CAP resources: planning, logistics,
and operations. This is important partly because, unlike all
other SAR resources used in New Mexico, CAP gets *paid*. And
air support is expensive.

New Mexico SAR field teams see far more helicopters. They may
land and take off from a staging area that includes horses,
and they commonly do fly in very low overhead for a good look
at us or whatever we are looking at. So most ground SAR units
do train with helicopters. Basic helicopter training is an
orientation to safety for ground crews: how to size, select,
and clear a safe helicopter landing spot; how to approach (or
not) a helicopter on the ground. Units that may be expected
to be deployed via helicopter get additional training. Mounted
units are well advised to arrange for some despooking time with
the helicopters, perhaps in conjunction with another unit's
basic training. Helicopter crews tell me some horses couldn't
care less, others flip out. It is very, very useful to know
which category fits your own horse. And certainly it is better
to find this out in a relatively safe environment such as a
polo field or other large space clear of blowable debris, and
not in the midst of a SAR mission. Especially not a big one,
with a media circus on hand just waiting for dramatic imagery.