msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] fire

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] fire
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:40:16 -0700

http://www.pe.com/digitalextra/metro/wildfires/stories/PE_News_Local_D_tanker15.20b672f.html

DC10 is almost online. Talks about the 747 as well.

Irv- we've got so many different kinds of helo's going I couldn't begin to identify them all! The strangest ones are long skinny ones with a blade at either end and WINDOWS all along both sides. Passenger chopper of some sort but looks weird carrying a water bucket. Then some smaller 'normal' looking ones- like the news crews use. Then the small hotshot fire fighting choppers- sharp nosed and what looks to be two blades STACKED???? on top of each other. Everything has been pressed into service.

I went for a short ride today to destress! Where I met my friends was directly in line with the chopper take off. They would hover, wait their turn at the lake, then fly off full and slow. They'd come up right behind a large barn and over a boarding facility. We were parked and tacking up right under them. The first one I heard coming and I just stood back and watched my horse to see what he'd do. He flicked AN ear. One ear. One flick. This was a HUGE chopper making a LOT of noise. Nothing. The next one was towing a bucket. That got his attention- curiousity not fear. He watched that thing with both ears forward until he decided it wasn't interesting anymore and went back to standing still. We rode the whole time right under all different kinds with nary a twitch. Like I said- exposure on comfortable ground. BUT I wouldn't recommend a local forest fire as the best way to get exposure....<G>

Chris Pennington

  • Re: [MSAR] fire, Pennbo, 07/15/2006