msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Working/training with air support

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Working/training with air support
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 07:59:10 -0700

Hi all, it's quiet for a few moments so I can catch up on emails! I try to mimic actual things I might encounter on a mission when I train. Thus the ability of my horses to stand quietly under or next to a flapping tarp or sunshade, blowing signs, party streamers, and trash, sudden squawks from radios, loud music, sudden revving of engines, trailer doors slamming, ATV noise (they STILL don't like that but will quietly stand while flicking ears), etc etc

Think of the situations you might find yourself in and mimic those conditions to the best of your ability. If it might include helo or other air traffic find a local airport. Once they are used to the noise and something overhead (that's a hard one for some horses) then add blowing, tumbling debris in your own arena. Break the issues down into manageable tasks. We are 'blessed' with high winds here and stuff blows through the arena/paddock regularly from nearby construction sites and just normal brush stuff. Works great for me!! Now my horses chase it down to see if they can play with it! (We have to be diligent about getting the stuff as soon as it blows in!)

Anyway, that's my thoughts on it. Get your mounts used to what they'll encounter by having them encounter it in a safe trusted environment first.

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR