msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Minors as members

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Minors as members
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 20:32:21 -0600

Re Irv's specific question re insurance ramifications of minors:

Most, if not all NM SAR units have no insurance of any kind. IIRC,
the limited insurance provided by the state of New Mexico (which
applies only for the duration of a SAR mission), and the New Mexico
SAR Act and Plan, say nothing about the age of the SAR responder.

Re New Mexico's general labor laws, I have no useful information.

I do know that in the past children under 15 could obtain special
driver licenses in order to drive themselves to school, and AFAIK
that may still exist.

Keep in mind New Mexico is one of several states where children as
young as 3 may ride in rodeo grand entries and certain speed events
(pole bending). The general philosophy is "a kid who *can* do it,
*may* do it".