msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Minors as members

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lois Guyon <laguyon2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Minors as members
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 21:05:21 -0700 (PDT)

Dana,

I e-mailed you outside the group to ask you to contact Sheriff Thompson
about the September MSAR training in Illinois. I then went on-line and
educated myself on the work of CAP. From what I can tell it would be most
beneficial to have the mounted units train with air units. Our unit has not
done so, but I think it would be good to do so.

We had an incident a week ago when a person who is not a member of our
posse but who was doing some crowd control with posse members encountered a
helicopter. The chopper took off near the horses, and her horse went
straight up. I did not see this event but understand she had a very
interesting, if not safe, ride. She managed to stay in the saddle much to
the amazement of those watching. I got to thinking about my own horse. It
has not been on a search where there was air support. She has also not been
trained around planes of any sort. I have been remiss.

We are just starting to get to the point where we can relate to others in
some organized fashion at the command center. If we were in a search with
air support, I think we might be wishing we had been training with the people
in the air.

I know some of you train with the ground units and dogs, but what about
relating to the CAP and others?

Lois
Member,
LaSalle County Sheriff's MSAR