msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] the right horse

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] the right horse
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 14:14:38 -0400

[Deleted included prior post and HTML duplicate. -Una]

Thanks for the information and ideas on overcoming challenges. I still think
it takes a well-trained/seasoned horse to deal with much of this and some
horse personalities are naturally more confident than others. Much of their
confidence comes from ours.

I can see that SAR horses are ridden regularly on long rides to be fit
enough and safe. We have our work cut out for us. My current 18 year old
appendix QH gelding is an EPM survivor and does not have the stamina for
prolonged MSAR. He does light work and is pet for life. If anyone has to
deal with Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis diagnosis in their horse, I
would be happy to offer encouragement and insight.