msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Air Support

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Paul Fleming" <pfleming@nwlink.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Air Support
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 13:10:32 -0700

Allen,

You are correct training is the key and its fairly simple. Take your horses to the local (small aircraft) airport. Ride around on the approach and departure ends. Start half a mile out then work in. In is not necessary to get really close. 100 feet over your head is sufficient. Each time you hear a plane turn the horse to face it. Generally if you don't make a big deal out of it he won't either.

When your ground teams train with helicopters take your horses too. Just hang around a couple hundred feet away and let the horses watch. If your horse is real skittish let him watch from the safety of his trailer at first. It shouldn't take too many outings till the horses react to aircraft like just like a truck, no big deal.

That being said we also require horses to be held not tied when a helicopters are in the vicinity.

Mostly on searches the only times aircraft noise will cause a problem is when the helicopters is flying at high speed right on the tree tops. The low altitude tends to reduce the amount of noise broadcast forward and you really won't here it coming until till its right over you. You and the horse can be startled. Its part of the job. Not much we can do about that. Guess that's why we wear helmets

Paul
PMSAR

----- Original Message ----- From: "ALLEN SNYDER" <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>