homestead - Re: [Homestead] Has anyone heard about this?

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Has anyone heard about this?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:13:24 -0400

From: "EarthNSky" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
When most people use the word adopted, they mean legally adopted.

Has Obama said he's adopted? Is it in his books? I haven't read them. I think we need to differentiate what Obama himself says from what others say about him.

If he was legally adopted, he would definitely want to keep that a
secret because that would mean he was an Indonesian citizen and since
Indonesia did not allow dual citizenship, he would not be a US citizen.

I don't think that is true. Indonesian law has no bearing on US citizenship; only the US can determine that. Someone who marries a foreigner is still a US citizen unless they choose to legaly give it up:
From the US State Department website (
http://travel.state.gov/law/family_issues/marriage/marriage_589.html ):

"In some countries, marriage to a national of that country will automatically make the spouse either a citizen of that country or eligible to become naturalized in that country expeditiously. The automatic acquisition of a second nationality will not affect U.S. citizenship. However, naturalization in a foreign country on one''s own application or the application of a duly authorized agent may cause the loss of American citizenship. Persons planning to apply for a foreign nationality should contact an American embassy or consulate for further information."

I assume that "automatic acquisition" applies to adoption as well. If he was born a citizen, he's still a citizen unless he has renounced citizenship.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA