homestead - Re: [Homestead] potato Q

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] potato Q
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 07:48:55 -0700 (PDT)

I dug a few up this a/m, about 20#

Mostly new potato size to, which for me is a perfect size for canning the
ones I can't eat up.  I did find a couple of partially rotten ones, so I'm
thinking that if I'm going to leave some in the ground I'll have to re-route
the irrigation lines.  With luck the heat wave is over.  Half of the white
potatoes still have some green leaves, so I left them alone.

In the other patch (red & vikings) one plant died overnight.  Looks like some
kind of stem borer got it.  I dug it up to find out which kind it was.... Red
Pontiac... at least I got 5 good new potatoes off it.  And saw lots of
stolons, which hopefully an indication of the yields off the rest of the
survivors.
It is the Vikings that are doing extraordinarily well - even thru the heat
wave the plants have flourished and are still putting out flowers.

The russets mostly only produced small taters, very delicious ones, really
nice and white and firm.  Out of that whole row, there were only about 5
really big potatoes.  So my first thought is that is not a good variety for
the desert - at least not a good return on the amount of water.....  (Not in
tires or rows.)

:-)

From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com Clansgian AT wmconnect.com

> >Is it preferable to let them "harden",,, i.e. leave the larger ones in
> the ground for a while so they store longer into winter?

Yes, leave them in the ground as long as is practical.  That's where they
are at home.  Some varieties of potatoes that I grow (for example, Yukon
Gold) will often mature and die completely by the end of June.  But I leave
them
in the ground until October or November  else they will shrivel and
deteriorate in the summer heat.

James
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/cayadopi%40yahoo.com